Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Inital thoughts of a continued journey

I feel I should preface this entry with an introduction. This is Ian (sorry to let you down, Jenny and Breanna). Let's just say that most of the already few readers of this blog don't come here for me. But I've wanted to have a blog too, so who says the girls get to have all the fun (where did my masculinity run away to on that one?)? Let's cut to the chase:

Same story, different day. I've been to college. A real university at that. And not to toot my own horn, but I also spent 5 years at a community college thanks to Uncle Sam and, for the most part, useless high school councelors who seemed not to care that there was no checks and balance system in place to prevent un-motivated teens from attending neither college classes nor high school classes (hooray for run-on sentences!). And not wanting all those credits to go to waste (I was just starting to study the topics that captivate me) I decided to venture into the mysterious unknown world of online schooling.

I am a couple of weeks into my first class at American Military University. It's a university-wide course called "Intro to Online Learning", so I can't say much for the curriculum as it's obviously not what I came to study. But as far as the ideas and practices, it seems to be going pretty well. My major concern coming in was that I am not much of a self-starter when it comes to academia. I've had no problems so far, though, because I really want this, and I'm excited to start on my major. Almost all of my pre-req's transferred over, as well as some classes toward my BA, so for the most part I will only be taking History classes after this one's knocked out.

The whole idea of online schooling appeals to me because I can maintain my job and my responsibilities at the same time as finishing my degree. In practice it works perfectly, as I go to work early and come home early, oftentime while Kaitlin's still at work. So for now I am happy with my new adventure, but ask me again in a couple of months to see how I'll be enjoying multiple classes that aren't as much of a breeze

5 comments:

Ariel Sokol said...

I'm looking at various schools and came across your blog. Why did you decide to go to American Military University rather than an other school? There are a couple of distance learning schools out there, like University of Maryland.

My name is Breanna... said...

Way to go Ian! YOu are a busy man! Sometimes I think having to motivate yourself can be harder than having to go somewhere, but you are right about the flexibility! I'll pray for you to hang in there as you "wear so many hats" right now.

p.s. I like that your on the blog!!! first man to break out and join the girl party-awesome!

Jenny said...

Obviously I am pleased that you are continuing with school as this opens the "job door" for you to return my sister to Redding:)!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah Ian!!!! I am so proud of you. All this hard work will pay off and it will be worth it. Best of luck!

Take care,
Sabrina

Grant said...

Well Ian, I want to start by saying that you do have someone on your blog who likes to hear from you, and that yes, I am concerned about your masculinity after reading the recent postings.

Resultantly, I have compiled the following list of concerns I have about your manlihood after marriage and starting a blog:
1)I am concerned about you even starting a blog with your significant other in the first place. Where did you get that wussy idea?
2)I am concerned about you taking online classes. Isn't the point of earning a degree so you can go to class and check out the hot girls?
3)I am concerned that you have become the housewife in your relationship. First it is the dishes and next thing you know you have to quit your job and stay home and change diapers all day.
4)I am concerned that Kaitlin enjoys Tims Cascade Jalepeno Potato Chips more than you. She was right that it is a manly habit to eat them and I am disappointed that you can´t eat more of them than wife can.
All in all, I think the aforementioned concerns all warrant a very long and crazy bachelor party for me this summer where you can regain your manliness. Kaitlin may have been able to tell you what you couldn´t have at your bachelor party, but she can't tell me what I can´t have at mine. *wink*
Afterthought: I am sorry about the things I just said Kaitlin. You can expect a formal written apology in the mail. Please let Ian come to my bachelor party.